Monday, January 18, 2010

What's for Dinner: Pot Roast


As I've spoken about previously, a couple of my goals are to eat healthy meals and to eat at home more often. This is much easier said than done for someone who's culinary expertise extends to boiling spaghetti, and ordering a pizza is technically eating at home, but that doesn't count! Time to start experimenting in the kitchen...

It's not hard to find recipes on the internet. Some are simple and quick, other are more extravagant and can take hours to prepare. My skill level definitely puts me in the simple and quick category, which gave me the idea of making a "What's for Dinner" post. I'll post a recipe and a little about the luck I had making it, as well as a picture of the end result on my plate. This will be a, "if he can make it, anyone can make it" kind-of deal. So, here we go:

Pot Roast
with onions & carrots

2 lb beef chuck roast
1 onion
1 bag carrots
olive oil
salt & pepper
garlic powder
onion powder

1. Cut the onions in quarters so that the layers easily peel apart.
2. Line the bottom of the crock pot with a couple of the outermost edible layers of the onion.
3. Dice the remainder of the onion.
4. Drizzle a little olive oil on the meat and rub it around.
5. Season one side of the meat to taste with salt, pepper, garlic, and onion powder.
6. Put the meat in the crock pot seasoned side down on top of the onion slices.
7. Add carrots to the pot around the outside of the meat.
8. Olive oil and season top side of the roast and carrots.
9. Sprinkle your remaining diced onion over the top of everything.
10. Cook on low heat until the meat can easily be pulled apart with a fork.

I made this meal yesterday and it turned out great. It literally only took about 5-10 minutes to prepare, and I left it in the crock pot for about 11 hours. Yum! My mom always uses Lipton Onion Soup Mix on top of her roasts and it's really good, but I'm trying to use less processed and more natural ingredients. Maybe next time I'll make a homemade onion soup mix and give that a try.

The two pound roast made about four servings, enought for one generous serving at dinner plus three lunches. You could easily scale this up to make more if your crock pot or roaster had the capacity.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment